Tuesday, August 3, 2010

PLEASE Tread with Care!

So my past week consisted of taking care of my oldest daughter. She was hurt badly in an accident on a treadmill at a friends house. I've always told my kids to get off any exercise equipment and I sure hope this will teach them, and others, that treadmills can be dangerous.

Avery was at a friends house and they were in their swimsuits (in Texas, if the weather is stormy it usually clears up within 30 minutes) passing the time playing in the gameroom upstairs. The emergency key was out or found and the girls had it up and running too fast. Avery fell, and since the treadmill was in a corner, she was pinned between the wall and speeding treadmill. Her friend immediately turned it off as quickly as possible but Avery had been hurt badly.

We had to sneak these first few pictures of her leg. She has what looks like road rash from almost the top of her inner thigh that runs down and across to the bottom of her calf. It's just raw and so gross!
This is of her inner thigh going across to the outside of her knee. This was the first night and she hurt A LOT!

She also has this on the outside of her hip.

This is the back of her leg. She was doing a lot better but still hurt a lot! This was day 4. She still would not straighten her leg and cried about anything near it.

This is today, day 6, and it looks so great. She had a sleepover at Grandma and Grandpa's house and Grandma got her into the pool and the chlorine can really dry things up and it did a great job on such a nasty wound.
This is her inner thigh again. It looks so much better!! Grandma's are magic and can help heal our babies! She came back my happy Avery: walking normal and just being my happy girl. She had been so ashamed and embarrassed about her leg for days. Thanks Grandma!
It was a good lesson for all of us. Avery, I hope, learned to speak up and be honest about her feelings. I learned patience and distraction moves things forward, kids trust Grandma and Grandpa more than Mom and Dad, and how precious our babies, and life, really is.
I love you so much Avery! I'm so glad you're better and able to walk normal again. I know you won't play on treadmills again I just hope you'll speak up next time. It's ok to ruffle a few feathers, I do it all the time!

1 comment:

Michelle said...

Ella was just asking me the other day if she could get on our treadmill and I said no. She asked why not and I told her she could get hurt. I'll have to show her these pictures so she knows exactly why I said no. Sorry this happened. But a good lesson for everyone. My sister has a friend whose daughter had an accident on one and ended up having a few surgery's because of it. It ripped her hair out of her scalp. Glad Avery is ok.