Tuesday, July 29, 2008
ALL BECAUSE OF A DOG, 1 YEAR LATER
It's been 1 year since Spencer's accident and the dreaded phone call at 6:42 am from Chief Mike Phillips. Jake was already up but the girls were still sleeping and Chief told me that Spencer was in a serious car accident and they were transporting him to Memerial Hermann. I was in almost shock but called Wayne, Spencer's dad, and he was on his way to go with me to the hospital. Heather would watch the kids. I showered quickly and Avery had woke up and started crying when I told her, "Daddy was in a car accident and I'm going with Grandpa to see him." We got to the hospital and there were about 15 firefighters around Spencer in the ER. They stitched up Spencer's chin and had to put a pin in his leg to put it back into place. It was interesting to note the Dewalt drill with "ER" written all over it. He was taken into surgery and was actually bumped in front of others because he was with HFD. He had broken his femur and we're guessing five maybe six ribs. He also punctured a lung and had to get a chest tube put in on his 30th birthday. Spencer was in ICU for three days and stayed in the hospital for almost two weeks. He did celebrate his 30th birthday with over 25 friends and family. I had brought the kids to visit dad but had to prepare them because Spencer's eyes, although they were healing, there was still a lot of blood in them. Spencer was so happy when he graduated from the walker to crutches and then eventually the cane. He would tease the kids with it while sitting in the recliner. I swear sometimes I think Spencer is my oldest child.
We are so grateful for Heavenly Father sparing his life! I don't know what I would do without him! We're still wondering why that stupid dog came out of nowhere in front of his truck but are grateful for his brothers in HFD at his station that came to his aid and kept him alive. A few of the guys were worried about him and Spencer has seen people die in less serious accidents. It truly is a miracle that Spencer is still with us! We love you so much Spencer!! Always buckle up!!
Remembered by
Robyn
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




1 comment:
I can't believe it has been a year already. It is awesome that he lived through such a horrible accident. Heavenly Father was looking out for you guys! We are glad he is still around too! :)
Post a Comment