Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Preschool for Emily

For a long time I've been wanting to learn how to sew. In YW a few years ago we started a quilt class and I have 25 finished squares to quilt together. I chose three styles: log cabin, a star, and the 9 square. I probably didn't get the names right but oh well. I still need to finish that project.
Emily needed a nap mat for pre k and I thought it would be fun if I made one for her. It seemed easy enough and I found instructions online so I headed out to JoAnn's and picked out some fabric with Emily and started a new sewing project. This is what we chose to use:

I had already started sewing from this picture. It doesn't look terrible but it looks very homemade. Of course I see all the flaws. I left the bottom open, but sewed velcro to close it, to take out the pad so it can be washed. I originally had buttons to keep it closed when rolled up. But I also changed that to velcro because it would be easier for Emily to use herself.


So the finished product. I love the fabric! Emily carried it around most of Conference weekend. It was cute. Avery mentioned that she wanted one with bunnies on it- she LOVES bunnies! So I suppose that's my next project..... but until then here is a few pictures of Emily's first day of school.

She was so super excited to go to school! She'd ask me weeks before, "Mom, when do I start school?" "Not soon enough." I'd tell her. The night before she could hardly sleep she was so excited to go to school. Jake was excited for her also and he loves to watch over his sister- and partner in mischief. We see these two as Calvin and Hobbs.


On the way to school, Emily was telling me to just drop her off and stay in the car. She would walk to the door by herself. I told her since it was her first day of school I had to take a picture. Ok she says but don't walk in the door. I laughed and said I have to because I have to sign you into school. Oh, alright she says. She's so funny!


I had a hard time getting a good picture of her since she was so excited to go to school but this is one by the door. Oh my little Emily! You're growing up! Too quickly!

1 comment:

Kristine said...

Love the nap mat, way to go!!